Pages

Welcome Eager Readers! (And Writers)

Thanks for stopping by. Please read our "About" page for some more information and please look over our submission guidelines that are on the right before submitting.

Enjoy, and Viva La Toucan

Laura, Toucan Editrice

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Page 14--Aubade For A Friend--Taegan Harker

1.
Days pass, then you’ll occur to me again,
and I lose you afresh every time.

2.
I’m awake at five a.m., remembering
how you’d recommend walks at this hour,
when the sky’s the colour of sea salt.

I used to dream about us walking
at the same time, on opposite sides of town;
a togetherness – only imagined – that would ache like grief.

3.
I fly out in a few days. I’ll probably stick with tradition:
text you the morning I leave, wonder
if, for one reason or another, it’ll be the final goodbye.
So, I’ll make it a good one. Then my phone’ll be off,
now able to tolerate the greyscale acres of check-in and departure.

4.
After months of barely speaking,
you drove to pick me up from my mother’s hospital bedside.
We stopped at a red light on an empty street.
Your eyes had shifted to dove-grey, from blue.

5.
I can’t remember when I told you she’d died.
I remember wanting you minutes after it happened,
I wanted you there to lie to me:
tell me I was pale, and needed to rest,
tell me the world would seem washed-out in the days to come.
You would have created normalcy –
to make me feel I was reacting right, to keep me calm and safe –
you would have made my comeback slower,
but at least you would’ve been there.


6.
It was nothing, really. Promise.
Go back to sleep; turn over in your bed
and find the colder side of the pillow.
You don’t need to worry. This was nothing.
Not the nightingale or the lark.

We were just a noise in the dark,
a noise in the heart, that used to be a song.
Before nothing can be done for us both,
I’ll leave quietly, so we can finally see morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment