Pages

Welcome Eager Readers! (And Writers)

Thanks for stopping by. Please read our "About" page for some more information and please look over our submission guidelines that are on the right before submitting.

Enjoy, and Viva La Toucan

Laura, Toucan Editrice

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Page 20--Why I Take Photos Of Myself--Taegan Harker

1.
I'm afraid of not being able to see my mother in me –
and that, at that point, she'll truly be gone.

2.
I'm watching for hint of my flaws somewhere;
it'd say it's all over my face, I don't have to talk.

3.
I'm looking at the scar through my eyebrow, a reminder
that I carry my past in my left eye, my future in my right.

4.
I'm counting every eyelash, every lip-line, in case
one day I wake up and there are too little, or too many.

5.
I'm creating angles out of shadows – trying out
my new language of nuance – British light on American skin.

6.
I'm preserving as many days that I look beautiful
as I can, because there are still too many that I don't.

7.
I'm worried that when I die, I'll be represented poorly.
I'm planning ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment