Pages

Welcome Eager Readers! (And Writers)

Thanks for stopping by. Please read our "About" page for some more information and please look over our submission guidelines that are on the right before submitting.

Enjoy, and Viva La Toucan

Laura, Toucan Editrice

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Proportion--Kenneth P. Gurney

The valley fades into dusk, washed
by a cool rain dressed in rainbows.

Elsewhere, you color the sky,
take time to choose each brush stroke.

The greens I see are the butterfly bushes
you planted recently and water religiously.

I come from riding my bicycle
up the long hill that leads to the mountain.

The shovel leans upon the gate,
forgotten after immediate need vanished.

I depart from my flannel shirt, my blue jeans
with the pants leg clipped tight.

The world is much smaller and larger
than I like to think. When it is large

I stop and look with wonder. And,
when it is small, I am angry

it does not fit into my pocket
or on my bicycle rack, so I

may carry it to your studio
with the blue jay feather I found

at the end of Indian School Road
where a path leads up into darker greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment