Pages

Welcome Eager Readers! (And Writers)

Thanks for stopping by. Please read our "About" page for some more information and please look over our submission guidelines that are on the right before submitting.

Enjoy, and Viva La Toucan

Laura, Toucan Editrice

Monday, February 14, 2011

Laos, I haven't forgotten you, Tyler Bigney

I walked the narrow streets of Vientiane
sometime between May and July of 2008.
The streets were quiet, for the kids selling
pirated DVD’s. I would have bought a few
but their asking price was too high, and I
didn’t have a television.

I hope a landmine kills you,”
they yelled after me.

There were clouds blocking
the warm sun, and beautiful girls
lost in the streets. They told me
before I came that I wasn’t allowed
to speak to them. But I spoke to them
anyway, late at night, in the dark space of
small, empty bars, where I whispered words
like beautiful and tragic
and run away with me.

Except none of that ever happened,
you see,
I’ve always been a bit of a coward,
so instead, I settled on eating pomegranates,
and timing the clouds
moving away from the sun,
anything, for a reason
to shield my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment