Pages

Welcome Eager Readers! (And Writers)

Thanks for stopping by. Please read our "About" page for some more information and please look over our submission guidelines that are on the right before submitting.

Enjoy, and Viva La Toucan

Laura, Toucan Editrice

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Poem of the Week:One Universe Too Many, Mitch Grabois

Ed Note: I'm so sorry this wasn't up on Friday. I had a lot of things going on and forgot to schedule it. 

The alternative universe
in which you’re not a colossal disappointment,
where is it now?
It rode the Diphtheria Nebula
slid into the Oppenheimer Black Hole and hid there,
rested in perfect silence
before disappearing

A colossal disappointment ,
your ears ring with parental echoes
as do mine

My patriarch said:
I can read you like a book
and all the pages are blank

Then, as if I didn’t get it, an interpretation:
You’re a bum and you’ll always be a bum
his finger in the air as if he were reciting from the Talmud

Mira:
I let mold grow on my organic eggs
I invite quadruplet cats to lick my cheeks with their rough tongues
until the chafing mimics my Roseola
I do yoga in the rubble of the necropolis without a mat

all this to show you that
Perfection is not possible
and whatever you’re comparing yourself to
is a construct with no reality

Religions of perfection betray us
leave our lungs scarred as if ravaged by pneumonia
leave our blood infected

“God” is the arch-villain in an archaic mythology
“Jesus” is all the sex we’ve denied ourselves

On a Greek archipelago, the risen Jesus and the goddess Isis
have riotous sex
until the feta mountains crumble
and the ouzo and retsina
in their abandoned goblets
ignite

No comments:

Post a Comment