Pages

Welcome Eager Readers! (And Writers)

Thanks for stopping by. Please read our "About" page for some more information and please look over our submission guidelines that are on the right before submitting.

Enjoy, and Viva La Toucan

Laura, Toucan Editrice

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Page 17--Only Fifty Pesos--Rob Marshall

I stared at the pot

I got in Mexico City – a vendor makes them by hand
Only fifty pesos

Its shape was perfectly
imperfect,
slightly lopsided

It didn’t sit atop the table with the symmetric arrogance of machine-made pots, no
no, this pot sat very modestly
Poised and proud,
The definition of function over fashion
–I used it for the latter –
Near the top there was one single fingerprint
A fossil
I imagined myself as the pot

And I weep at the sight of shattered clay on the floor

No comments:

Post a Comment