Pages

Welcome Eager Readers! (And Writers)

Thanks for stopping by. Please read our "About" page for some more information and please look over our submission guidelines that are on the right before submitting.

Enjoy, and Viva La Toucan

Laura, Toucan Editrice

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Boat, Kenneth P. Gurney

I wanted to retreat back into my childhood,
but every time I made the attempt I failed.
I read up on advanced physics
to understand the non-linear shape of time,
but I failed to grasp it fully
and only went back as far as last week
when that green chili corn dog
gave me heart burn.
I read a bunch of Heinlein books
and reread the one about Job three times 
and wished for an interested god 
to change my circumstances,
but nothing happened—
at least, nothing I recognized.
As the winter holidays were approaching,
I sought a way to summon
the ghost of Christmas past
and ask him to take me back,
but my failed conjuration efforts
centered around stale cookies
left on a broken porcelain plate
and a sour glass of milk.
Since I could not retreat
back into my childhood
I sought a way to advance 
into the same region
from a different angle,
but all my industrious efforts
where for naught
and my feet were sore
by the end of the day
and, really, all I wanted
was for someone 
to buy me a banana split 
like my Dad use to do on my birthday
and feel that sort of joy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment