Pages

Welcome Eager Readers! (And Writers)

Thanks for stopping by. Please read our "About" page for some more information and please look over our submission guidelines that are on the right before submitting.

Enjoy, and Viva La Toucan

Laura, Toucan Editrice

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Hawk, Kenneth P. Gurney


I thought the war was open to anyone.
It was a closed affair.
I was not very good at war
and wanted to practice,
but the membership fees
were more than I could afford.
I went home and practiced
pouting for a little while
then kicked a ball
around the yard
pretending it was the enemy
and we were at war.
I broke a window.
A cloud rushed inside my house
and stole all my war discussions
that I posted by the fireplace
then the cloud escaped up the flue
and back into the sky: 
blackened, thunderous.
When I lit the fire that night
to heat up a topic
there was no war left to talk about
so I thought maybe I could forge
a new war against industrial polluters
and enlist the environmentalists.
I knew no environmentalists
except for Ellie,
who was an armchair environmentalist,
but her conversation centered around birds 
and their bright plumage
and intricate mating displays. 
So I retreated to the kitchen
and prepared hot coco
for the two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment