Pages

Welcome Eager Readers! (And Writers)

Thanks for stopping by. Please read our "About" page for some more information and please look over our submission guidelines that are on the right before submitting.

Enjoy, and Viva La Toucan

Laura, Toucan Editrice

Friday, September 14, 2012

Poem of the Week: A Mother to Her Daughter, Vivian Cheng

It’s been four years
since you moved out,
or has it been six?
The years don’t really matter
when you’ve lost your only daughter.
I know we were always two left feet
out there on the dancing floor,
never able to get along,
but don’t you know
that every girls’ natural enemy
is the woman who gave her life?

I know you’re with him now,
and I hope he’s treating you well.
I hope he’s taking care of you
just as well as your mama did.
I hope you know the feeling
of love rising in your breast
as you cradle your baby child
right there against your chest.

Baby girl, I want you to know
that you’re allowed to cry.
You’re allowed to have a bad day,
and I’ll still be here,
I’ll still be your support and life line.

Cry if you need me,
it’s the only number you’ll need.
Cry if you need me,
your tears the sound of my telephone ring.
If it’s your pride
that won’t let your tears fall,
I’ll still come running,
because every mother knows
the sound of her baby dying;
I hope you’ll learn this lesson
when your own baby gets old.

Cry if you need me,
and cry if you don’t.
No matter what you do,
you’ve still got your mama’s love
resting on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment