Pages

Welcome Eager Readers! (And Writers)

Thanks for stopping by. Please read our "About" page for some more information and please look over our submission guidelines that are on the right before submitting.

Enjoy, and Viva La Toucan

Laura, Toucan Editrice

Friday, September 21, 2012

Poem of the Week: Restless on Nature's Behalf, John Grey

I’m on chilled mountaintop             
dreaming of hot desert.
Or a mile into the salt marsh,
I wish it were clear and blue.

Absurd I know,
but pines, to me,
are so pigheaded
in their refusal to be palms.

And the more the river
curls and threads,
the more it is not ocean
and, up ahead,
a shoal of rapids
pummels feelings for dry land.

Copper leaves
should be green
and green, copper.
And why not wolf lullabies
and warbler howls.

It’s not as if I want
nature to be human.
But why can’t
something mindless
change its mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment