Pages

Welcome Eager Readers! (And Writers)

Thanks for stopping by. Please read our "About" page for some more information and please look over our submission guidelines that are on the right before submitting.

Enjoy, and Viva La Toucan

Laura, Toucan Editrice

Friday, October 1, 2010

Do not Repeat. Do not Repeat--Paul Handley

I came home wasted, and put my eyeballs in

a glass with seltzer and then cradled them gingerly,
scraped off what appeared to be hardened salt
as if someone had mistaken my eye rims for a margarita glass.


The day had started badly with a mescaline delivery
from the Devil May Care biker gang,
whose representative mistook my place
of employment for my residence.
The former roadie for a boy band
breaking in and later shanked in prison on pedo suspicion.


Phone call.
Um, Stephen, with the usual emphasis on
the ph from an insult trading session during a lull,
of which I had completely forgotten the substance
of that particular verbal exchange.
Do you know a Mr. Hundred Proof?
I mouth garbled protestations.
Interesting. Feigned yawn.
He seems to think you sleep in the stock room or something.
I mumble and bumble coincidences, may have yous, slanted transmission.
OK, Gregory says don’t bother coming in tomorrow.


The nightshift girlfriend arrives and dispatches
me so she can sleep. I walk blocks. Watch a dog park.
Watch what appears to be sincere enjoyment of kites,
hacky sack and Frisbee golf. Get asked reluctantly
to play 2 on 2 basketball. The heart jumps erratically
as if being tasered from the blind spots,
since lately, my vision often fuses two objects.


A ceremony of sorts, involving a lecture
about responsibility and expired insurance cards,
leaves me upended from the wheelchair,
between two fresh mustard lines
on the glistening blacktop. I drag myself
to another parking lot behind a liquor store
with temporary homies.

No comments:

Post a Comment